Rating Five Classic Rom Com Interiors - Pretend Vacation

Rating Five Classic Rom Com Interiors

 We (as in us personally and as a society) love Rom Coms for many reasons, but one of them is definitely the eye candy. No, not the floppy brunette love interest, I mean the INTERIOR DECOR OF COURSE! 

Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Rennee Zellweger; not only did these ladies give performances that we will rewatch on our sad days for the rest of eternity, their characters made some pretty iconic interior design choices. The Golden Age of Rom Coms (i.e. late 80s/90s/early 2000s) gave us so much, including these incredible (debatable) spaces. 

Pretty Woman 

Kate: With this room as a blueprint, millennial pink comes as no surprise. Millennial pink is to today as dusty rose/mauve was to the 80s. For the sheer amount of pink on every surface I love this room and would totally have the best time if I was staying here. Room service meal in that huge bath? Yes. That being said I have to take a few points off because I don't think the concept of this movie aged very well.

Rating: 7/10


Helen: Anything with wall to wall carpeting is something that I resent. I want to love the giant bathtub but it is very Square Shaped which I don't love even though I understand it is probably very 90s Fancy hotel rooms ook me out, especially in the context of this movie even though I've never seen it. Wait, does he live in a hotel?? Get outta there, bitch. 

Rating: 5/10


Claire: I have to give this a high rating because I respect any apartment that commits to pink walls, pink carpets, and red upholstery, as well as an unnecessary number of steps. For a weird rich person hotel room, it's incredibly warm and cozy.

Rating: 9/10

Sleepless in Seattle 

Kate: This one is hands down one of my favorites. The fact that the kitchen and living room are both pink? The decorative plates! It adds a whole new layer to her character that her house seems so haphazardly eclectic. It shows us she definitely shops at flea and antique markets and I love that for her. 
Rating: 10/10

Helen: I think it's delightful that she's just a regular young woman living her life and it's totally acceptable that her home looks like a grandmother's home- doilies, everything soft pink, decorative hand towels, *decorative plated on display* 
Rating: 8/10

Claire: Love the femininity of thise space: the soft pink, the frilly curtains and dish towels, the works. The layout confuses me. Why is there so much space between the fridge side of the kitchen and the oven side? Inefficient. Plus, shabby chic in an environment where hygiene is key just weirds me out. What if paint chips off of that rickety green piece and into my salad?
Rating:6/10

You've Got Mail 


Kate: This space is stunning. I'm not sure if the third photo is her apartment or someone else's, but I had to include it because I am obsessed with this tableau. Tea time by the fireplace with the girls? And those thriving house plants? And again with the decorative plates? Yes! Also her quilt/duvet/sheets combination really speaks to me.
Rating: 9/10

Helen: Architecturally, this space is SO strong. Peep not only the space-efficient built-in bookshelves, but the gorgeous wide framed open doorways (idk what you all that)- talk about unifying the space! Tbh I don't trust that her bed looks like it's at an angle rather than lined up with a wall, but that may be my own issue.
I love this space because even though she lives with that lame dude (that she's engaged to I think?) it's very femme and homey (again, grandmother interiors). It's not my style but I think it's a really well suited space for this character. Also damn, those floors. 
Rating: 9/10

Claire: I live for this apartment. The shining parquet floors, the overflowing houseplants, the books upon books, and the abundance of soft fluffy surfaces. What I love the most is how this apartment has the bones to be austere and high fashion, but Kathleen Kelly has pivoted and used the space for comfort. 
Rating: 10/10

Runaway Bride 

Kate: I love the chaos of this room. The workspace full of seemingly random industrial objects combined with that little designated seating area is a strange and wonderful combination. Bonus points for the bright yellow storage locker that I want for my own space. 
Rating: 8/10

Helen: This is my favorite and also somehow the most believable interior here- like it looks like she's a real person who Really lives here. We see all her junk, her weird crafts, even her punching bag. I really love that she invested in a punching bag for her home. She is a Free Spirit
Rating: 8/10

Claire: I'm sorry. I don't know what movie this is from and from what I can tell, it's an open floor plan. You know I don't like that. Open floor plans drastically reduce the space's clutter tolerance and whoever this character is missed the memo. The idea of being in this space makes me want immediately find the exit from this space. 
Rating: 1/10

Bridget Jones' Diary 
 

Kate: Even when I watch this movie I don't understand the layout of this apartment. It is large and claustrophobic at the same time. How the dining room, living room, and kitchen are connected I do not know. I do love her commitment to the robin's egg blue though.
Rating: 5/10

Helen: This may be just part of the character but this living room is way too big and empty for this one person. I think I have a special issue with the sheer quantity of side tables... everything feels moveable, which can be handy, but in this case it feels much less settled into than, say, Meg Ryan's homes. That being said, I adore the robin's egg blue kitchen and am happy for her that it is so huge.
Rating: 7/10

Claire: Something about the furniture spacing in this apartment ooks me out. Like we're looking at a studio set apartment that doesn't have the other side and can only be seen head on. It looks like the home of an early aughts Febreze commercial. That being said, I am suckered in my the wavy lamp and sheepskin rug in the living room. 
Rating: 5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment