How I Would Populate My Cabin: Chicken Edition - Pretend Vacation

How I Would Populate My Cabin: Chicken Edition

 I started this morning off pretty strong, enjoying an episode of Dessert Person in which Claire Saffitz makes créme caramel if you're fancy, and flan if you're the rest of us. She uses fresh eggs from her CHICKENS which live UPSTATE at the cabin where she's been recipe testing. It doesn't take much for me to be flung into cabin fever mode, and this video has got me reeling. 

As a kid, there were always chickens in my backyard. We sold their eggs at the town farmer's market every Saturday morning. One of my first big embarrassments centered around those eggs, actually- my mom had put me in charge of selling (big kid stuff) for a bit and I accepted money from a customer but forgot to hand over her dozen. I know it's minimal, but in my child brain it was the most mortifying the world could be. 


Anyway, eggs. Big part of my life. I raised a chicken in my room once, where she slept in a cat carrier furnished with a towel which was quickly ruined. And every time I visualize my personal agrarian ideal, that mystical little cabin somewhere in the mountains, chickens take center stage. Here are my five top picks for chickens that would scratch and peck all around my mountain home.

#1: Buff Minorca

These are a nostalgic choice for me, since growing up I always had Buff Minorcas. They're a great middle of the road, standard issue chicken. No qualms.


#2: Silkie Bantam

If I ever have kids, or if I'm ever just around little kids because of my friends or family or whatever, they will only ever refer to these guys as disco chickens. Because that is what I will teach them. Because that's my responsibility to the next generation. Basically, LOOK HOW FUN! Supposedly, they aren't great layers, but they make up for it by looking awesome and being calm and gentle.



#3: Faverolle

Look at these angels! Originally hailing from France, these guys will teach the other chickens how to look cool smoking cigarettes and what the secret is to the perfect croissant. 




#4: Australorp

I don't know what it is exactly but these chickens give me Wild West vibes. I can really see this rooster strolling ever so slowly into an empty, dusty town, his spurs jingling as the residents flee the main street. I feel like Australorps are purveyors of thunderstorms or something. I want to give them comfy hay to snuggle in after long days of raging.



#5: Belgian d'Uccle

Lasties but not leasties, we have the Belgian d'Uccle, who brings goofy little boots to the party and can pass time having witty repartee with the Faverolles. And if I ever need to dust the floors (is that a thing?), I can just send him on a lap through the house.


- Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment