An Open Call to Abbondio Stazio to Decorate My Apartment - Pretend Vacation

An Open Call to Abbondio Stazio to Decorate My Apartment

As the weather heats up and I start feeling a wider range of feelings again (namely, excited and festive), I have become increasingly interested in interiors which reflect the current shift. As noted in a previous post by our resident sage, Claire, gone are the days of cohesive, white, blank-slate interior design. We have arrived happily back to a moment that celebrates life and living and all the weird junk- sorry, knick knacks- you pick up along the way.

But what if we, dare I say, took it even further? I want interiors that not only fun, but feel alive. Honestly, I want my home to step up and bring the drama. We have taken flat walls and right angles for granted for far too long. Symmetry? Geometric harmony? No thanks. Architecture buffs may see where I'm going with this... I'm talking going for Baroque.

When I say I want the space to feel alive, I don't just mean a vibrant palette. No no, I'm talking sculptural representations of real living beings populating my walls and ceiling. I want to wake up and be immediately greeted by a collection of cherubs that casually live in a bundle of marble branches and scrolls that just flow around the perimeter of the space, a la this bedroom from the Palazzo Sagredo in Venice-



See what I mean? I know Kate McKinnon has joked before about "Porky Pig-ing it in a drafty dome," but what if that dome lived in a drafty palace and was mottled with carved vines and ropes lovingly glazed in gold lief? Besides, imagine waking up to a glowing, heraldic fresco directly above you and trying to have a bad attitude. There's no way! Heaven has come down to you, baby, it's time to seize the day.

Even if Stazio is a bit niche as far as historic architects go, and even if this bedroom in particular is supposedly the best example of this style from its time, I maintain my right to dream. Even if I can't get the Abbondio Stazio since he "died" or something, I like to believe his legacy lives on in my aesthetically reckless and materially excessive ambitions. As long as that legacy is his deep Italian voice reminding you several times a day, "Go on girl, be extra. You deserve it."

-Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment