Ghostbusters Kitchen - Pretend Vacation

Ghostbusters Kitchen

The 80s Interior
     Sigourney Weaver’s character in Ghostbusters was the definitive Grown Woman to me when I was young. She had business clothes. She had sexy clothes for when a sexy ghost (demon?) possessed her. She had a living room with leafy plants, big windows, and pink furniture. Most importantly though, she had her own groceries to go in her very own kitchen. 

    When I moved into my first apartment after college, I couldn’t believe how indulgent grocery shopping felt. Every single meal, exactly to my tastes? No compromises whatsoever?? Grocery shopping as a single person is an exercise in being true to yourself. It’s no small thing, either. If you’re a home cook on a budget like me, grocery shopping determines what you eat for each of your three meals for at least the next week. When you live on your own, you can eat weird vegetarian meat substitutes for each one of them if you want. 

    In the early days, my favorite meal was a bowl of tuna salad and a sleeve of Ritz crackers. Once I got brave enough to start truly using my oven, I found another favorite. Even though it's been less than a year, those days of looking over my shoulder before putting yet another round of aged cheddar in my cart feel far away. At least twice a month now I'm chopping onions, celery, and carrots while sipping a glass of wine, just like Sigourney Weaver's character. Like a real Grown Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment