Let's Get Away: East Brother Light Station - Pretend Vacation

Let's Get Away: East Brother Light Station


East Brother Lighthouse by Bruce C Cooper

    Every so often, life presents an opportunity to truly get away. And by get away, I mean live and work on a rocky island accessibly only by boat with no internet or consistent water source. Yes, that's right. The innkeeper position on East Brother Light Station just outside San Fransisco is open once again. Applicants can vie for the chance to live and work on a tiny island of three buildings and green space, preparing two meals a day for strangers, cleaning rooms, giving historical tours, and maintaining the lighthouse. This position comes with room and board, as well as a semi-reliable salary of $140,000.

    If you're looking for perfect isolation, as I sometimes am, this position won't fit the bill. Besides the fact that it's an inn, a partner is required. Who, though, is up to you. Do you bring someone you know, an old friend? Or maybe... a new lover? Or do you leave it to fate and have one assigned to you?* Is it a hunk who can lift rowboats over his head with one hand or a wizened old woman who teaches you her ways and passes the mantle of island wisewoman down to you? Of course, there's a movie starring Robert Pattinson about the dangers of managing an island lighthouse with a stranger, but my fantasy world isn't monotone or depressing, thank you very much.

    Whichever you choose, you have to live with them on a rocky island with no internet. Isn't that tantalizing? Having done the whole isolation thing with internet for almost a full year, I know it's ill-advised, at least for me. But it still calls to me. What is it about isolation as a choice that feels so freeing? Effectively they're the same experience, but in my imagination the latter takes on a touch of magical realism, a promise of self actualization and inner peace. Isolating out of social duty and fear is a decidedly shitty experience (good for society, yes, but shitty for my mental health). Choosing to isolate out of social preference, on the other hand? Enthralling, inspirational, a dream come true, and the high I've been chasing my entire adult life.

    As a test run for this glorious lifestyle, I've deleted the Instagram app off my phone. Momentous, I know. Later today I'll read some articles about how bad social media is for my brain to reinforce my decision. Then I'll open the application site for the innkeeper position again to linger and be grateful I don't have to make anyone's bed but my own. 

 

*Having a partner assigned doesn't appear to be an option, but boy would it be fun if it was!



No comments:

Post a Comment